Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Life of Kevin Carter

I bet everybody knew about this famous photo , A vulture watches a starving child in southern Sudan, March 1, 1993. Kevin Carter/CORBIS/Sygma


The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club aka The Life of Kevin Carter is a 2005 Academy Award-nominated documentary short subject about the suicide of South African photojournalist Kevin Carter. The film was produced and directed by Dan Krauss. It describes how Carter, who won the Pulitzer Prize for a photograph of an emaciated African girl being stalked by a vulture, became depressed by the carnage he witnessed as a photographer in war-torn places. In addition, he was devastated by the death of Ken Oosterbroek, a close friend and colleague who was shot and killed while working in the township of Thokoza.

Kevin Carter : "I was appalled at what they were doing. I was appalled at what I was doing. But then people started talking about those pictures... then I felt that maybe my actions hadn't been at all bad. Being a witness to something this horrible wasn't necessarily such a bad thing to do."

St. Petersburg Times in Florida said this of Carter: "The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering, might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene."

and his death note showing : "I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

this is a sad and conflict story , i am waiting to watch(download) it =..=


currently listening to : Sex Machineguns - Zero

2 comments:

Myon said...

Sex Machineguns~

I didnt know about this artist. thx

Ving Lee said...

a conflict photojournalist ... i'm waiting his documentary ... or you know where can download ?